Started by Soulfly
Battlefield 2042 0 Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:54 am
by Soulfly
MTW2 hotseat campain factions selection
Started by Soulfly
MTW2 Hotseat 7 Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:02 pm
by Gothic

Realtek HD Audio Retasking
Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view List users that have viewed this topic Thank Post Forum Index Reviews/Technical Technical
View previous topic View next topic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Smokey1Kenobi
How do people! If I could pick someones grey matter for a sec that would be outstanding.

I'm having an issue with audio.

Processor: E6750 @ 3.2GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Hard Drive: 2x 500gb, 1x 250gb, 1x 80gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512Mb
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio (Drivers 6.01.5591)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Motherboard: Phoenix? (can't remember specifics but it's the one that double boots when you hit the power button)

On the front of my case there are 2 USB slots, headphone and mic ports. The 2 USB slots work fine but the audio and mic don't want to.

I've tried updating the drivers and voila, my headset works but only plays sound meant for the centre speakers and the sub.

This in turn knocks out the actual center and sub speakers. but leaves the orbiting speakers working fine.

I've got a 5.1 surround system using 3 of the rear audio ports but the remaining 3 do nothing apart from the mic port.

I've tried rolling back the drivers to sort things out but that screwed things up more so I had to do a system restore to get it to how it was before I installed the new drivers.

If I remember right, when I last did a clean install of the OS, I updated the audio drivers and when I plugged in say the front left and right speakers, a popup arrived asking what function I would like to assign the new device.

It doesn't do this anymore for either the front or rear ports. I don't even have the little orange speaker icon on the task bar.

It seems to be quite specific about what it plays sometimes too.

With the new drivers and the headset plugged into the front ports I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2, the opening sequence played through the speakers and headset fine but as soon as it gets to the menu screen the centre and sub speakers die. While in game I get all the bass and front sounds through the headset and nothing else. The orbiting speakers play the surrounding sounds plus the voiceovers like "gimme some ammo" or "The M-Com is taking fire" etc.

All I want to do is be able to turn off the speakers and get full sound (and mic) from my headset and it seems to me the only way to do this is to retask the ports as I plug things in.

Is there any way i can get the little Realtek config program (orange speaker icon) back or a way to force the retasking of the front or rear ports?

Sorry if I've waffled on a bit but i figure too much info is better than not enough.

Any help would be appreciated and cookies will be forthcoming .

Cheers.

[posted on the steam forum also]

General

Groups General
Posts 710
Joined Jun 06, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Smokey1Kenobi a private message Find all posts by Smokey1Kenobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
JudgeDead
i know a fix for this well it was for me its in ure real tek settings when u click on sound or sumit u see volumes for all diff things but in small cornor theres an arrow with > on it if u click it it scrolls along to other speakers including ure mic wich it likes to mute if u un mute it n turn on mic boost and put mic volume full itl work i had this problem for ages and i found a video fix for it i cant find video for it right enuf agian il keep looking tho e.g. it turns off some ports for some reason. i found vid now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9a7axdSJ7I

"When in doubt get the gustav out"
"Killing corsa's at a Mcdonalds near you"

Lieutenant

Groups Lieutenant
Posts 186
Joined Aug 07, 2009
Status Offline
View user's profile Send JudgeDead a private message Find all posts by JudgeDead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Kuebel
I have the same issue, but for VIA HD Audio, the headphones work on the front jack, usb ports work for my usb speakers, but my mic doesn't work for shit on the front jack, only the back. I think it's a dodgy wire for me though, as my volume settings are all correct.

Posts 214
Joined May 08, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Smokey1Kenobi
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

And in full 5.1 surround sound.

It must have been the volume thing.

I've spent near enough a full day with my head inside the case, twiddeling and tweeking settings, installing drivers and with a sprinkeling of system restores i was getting ready to reach for the windows disk.

So thats the sound problems sorted, suggestions for fixing my car, now for the next thing, what do you guys know about cold fission?....... Very Happy

Thanks VERY much.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the headset works too lol Very Happy

General

Groups General
Posts 710
Joined Jun 06, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Smokey1Kenobi a private message Find all posts by Smokey1Kenobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
JudgeDead
Smile what was fix

Lieutenant

Groups Lieutenant
Posts 186
Joined Aug 07, 2009
Status Offline
View user's profile Send JudgeDead a private message Find all posts by JudgeDead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Smokey1Kenobi
The only thing i can think of it being is the volume settings.

I've looked at that many slider bars today they all blurred into one.

Now i cant get in TS LOL.

Its one thing after another.

General

Groups General
Posts 710
Joined Jun 06, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
JudgeDead
my m8 had that problem what is error it comes up with at bottom of ts saying why u cant connect ?

Lieutenant

Groups Lieutenant
Posts 186
Joined Aug 07, 2009
Status Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Smokey1Kenobi
All sorted on the TS front.

Sound though...

It's reverted to bass and center coming through the headset but everything coming through the surround fine.

Kuebel said to have a root around the .INI file so maybe changing SpeakerCount=0 may help?

Settings I've found:
Speaker count=0 sets the game to auto detect
Speaker Count=2 for Headphones
Speaker count=6 for 5.1
Speaker count=4 for 4.1
Speaker count=2 for 2.1

General

Groups General
Posts 710
Joined Jun 06, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male

Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view List users that have viewed this topic Thank Post Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1