Started by Soulfly
Battlefield 2042 0 Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:54 am
by Soulfly
MTW2 hotseat campain factions selection
Started by Soulfly
MTW2 Hotseat 7 Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:02 pm
by Gothic

0xC0000005
Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view List users that have viewed this topic Thank Post Forum Index Reviews/Technical Technical
View previous topic View next topic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
CrimsonAssurance
Any advice on this appreciated...

STW2 is crashing with error 0xC0000005, which is an access violation.  Steam and all other processes continue running ok.  I only get it after a battle when leaving the post battle screen.  It happens every 2 or 3 battles.  It doesn't happen in single player campaign, only multiplayer online.

My comp is old but there is plenty of RAM unused when running STW2.  I'm running XP pro SP3, GeForce 8800 GT, Direct X 9.

Have tried these with no success:
- reinstal STW2
- reinstal steam
- antivirus realtime off (though firewall still up)
- update drivers
- update BIOS
- mem test

Like I said any advice appreciated, even if just which forums to search/ask for help.

Maybe reinstall STW2 doesn't delete all C/C++ libraries/dlls?  Like DirectX?

Cheers,
CA

Posts 17
Joined Jul 24, 2012
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send CrimsonAssurance a private message Find all posts by CrimsonAssurance

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Saspi
I played with the same graphics card you have and had this same problem.
I advise you to be carefull with your 8800GT, it could fry because of the heat (that happened to mine).
You could run Speedfan but pay attention to what it says, because when I ran speedfan I ignored that heat levels were above the permissible and my graphics card died.

Things you could do:
-Run antivirus to detect any virus that could be causing this
-Delete the scripts file on C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\scripts
 Then right click the game entry in STEAM and select properties -> local data -> verify game cache
-Try disabling your audio hardware. If that stops the problem, update your audio drivers.
-  Make Shogun2 an exception on DEP on advanced system settings
Check this link for further information. http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/17428-Shogun-2-only-(and-ALWAYS)-crashes-when-I-quit/page2]

Maybe this thread can help also? I have a feeling that your problem is caused by your graphics card.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238484

Im far from knowing how PC works, so dont trust much of what I say.

Last edited by Saspi on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posts 622
Joined Sep 03, 2009
Status Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Saspi
Apparently (http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/61919/Constant-crashes-Oxc0000005-error-code-RAM-fine--DEP-----sim#.R3svf2HSp2B) it also might be a problem with Shogun 2 itself, so nothing you can do will fix the problem. Only thing you can do is wait for a patch. You could send me your crash dump file and I can try to get the attention of a CA member in the offical forums so that he can fix this crash in a future patch. I think they sometimes do small patches that nobody notices with solutions to problems like this one. Wanna try and get me the crash dump file if nothing works?

It should be located here:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\totalwar shogun
Just make sure you get it right after the crash.

Nighthawk is this problem the same one that Michel Ney told you about the other day?

Posts 622
Joined Sep 03, 2009
Status Offline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Nighthawk
i had a similar crash after installing fall of the samurai....and it was same, crashed after 2-3 mp battles only with me it was when i clicked on conquest map icon in battle setup after i came out of previous battle.
These crashes are due to win xp's virtual memory limitation, i tried the workaround posted on the tw forums by editing the boot.ini file to use larger memory, but it didn't work for me....i had to install windows 7 64 bit and now i have no more crashes, as i said the crash is due to the limitation of 32 bit operating systems and how they handle memory addresses....shogun 2 will kick out a large chunk of info that 32 bit operating systems can't handle....it's actually the fault of creative assembly's coders not optimising the game properly for windows xp 32 bit.

Posts 527
Joined Aug 07, 2009
Status Offline
View user's profile Send Nighthawk a private message Find all posts by Nighthawk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
CrimsonAssurance
thanks for this, i'll try these leads

Posts 17
Joined Jul 24, 2012
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send CrimsonAssurance a private message Find all posts by CrimsonAssurance

Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view List users that have viewed this topic Thank Post Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1