NAT Negotiation Failure
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
1, 2  Next  :| |:
http://www.celticalliance.com -> Technical

#1: No icon NAT Negotiation Failure Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:33 pm
    —
Anyone got any idea how to fix this problem?

Have tried this so far:
Logging in/out
Restarting game
Opening ports 27750
Setting MTW2 to allowed status on Firewall
Disabling Firewall
Restarting Router/PC

#2: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: SoulflyLocation: Edinburgh,Scotland PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:41 pm
    —
when you opened those ports,did you test it with that tool to make sure were 100% open

#3: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:44 pm
    —
I followed the Microsoft guide on opening ports but the tool did say it was still closed. Also tried a separate online tool but the connection timed out.
Any more detailed way you could put it to open them?

#4: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: SoulflyLocation: Edinburgh,Scotland PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:53 pm
    —
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

for fm i always used the guide for my router and when that tool said open it always worked.

#5: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:10 pm
    —
Looking at this guide would you say private IP is the router ip?

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Draytek/Vigor-2700V/Medieval_II_-_Total_War.htm

#6: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: OdiniLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:16 pm
    —
As Soul has hinted, there are normally two firewalls; Hardware-based, located on your cable/ADSL router and Software-based, Windows firewall or equivalent. You also need to be aware of what ports require opening and type; e.g. TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) or UDP (User Datagram Protocol).

1. You'll need to ensure port forwarding is enabled on your hardware-based firewall, this normally involves setting up a new service and then mapping it your computer's IP address* (this is best set to static or DHCP reserved as this may change otherwise messing up your forwarding!).

2. You'll need to add an exception to your software-based firewall. Using Windows Firewall with Advanced security, you'll need to open the mmc (Microsoft Management Console) for this by typing "WF.msc" without quotes in a run prompt. Select Inbound Rules and select New Rule... from the right-hand pane. Work your way through the wizard, opening the required ports.

3. Lastly, NAT (Network Address Translation) or PAT (Port Address Translation) to be precise, has a auto negotiate feature whereas local clients can temporarily request ports to be opened on the hardware-based firewall, this typically has to be enabled. Games often just refer to this as 'NAT Status' whereas routers tend to call this UPnP.

Sorry for the wall of text but was trying to cover most of the basics. If you provide more detail in what you are trying to achieve then I'll probably be able to provide further details. I bet you can't tell that I'm an IT instructor by trade hey?!  Wink

*You can use ipconfig /all in a command prompt to view your current IP and means to how it has been obtained.

#7: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: OdiniLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:19 pm
    —
— Colin747 wrote
Looking at this guide would you say private IP is the router ip?

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Draytek/Vigor-2700V/Medieval_II_-_Total_War.htm

Nope, this is the IP address information received on this port should be forwarded to, e.g. your computer's IP address.

#8: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:22 pm
    —
Cheers for that. When I run that tool it says that the port is open but it was not able to ping the router.

#9: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: OdiniLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:28 pm
    —
That is a good thing if you're using a web-based tool to check. Ping is part of a protocol called ICMP which work at a lower level than TCP/UDP. Routers for security reason often block ICMP messages from the WAN interface as this allows an attacker to know that IP address exists. If the tool says that the port is open, then it should be open.

You can check locally to see if the port is open by using the "netstat -a" in a command prompt and looking to see if your port is listed as listening.

#10: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:34 pm
    —
TCP 0.0.0.0.27750 is listed as Listening but the UDP port isn't.

#11: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:37 pm
    —
In the router there are two menus: Port Redirection and Open Ports, would I need to enter the port numbers in both?

#12: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: OdiniLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:41 pm
    —
Um... depends on your router. Normally they are one and the same, e.g. Open Ports are all the ports that can be open and Port Forwarding are the ports that currently being forwarded based on those opened in Open Ports. With regards to Windows reporting only TCP, if you are using Windows Firewall, you'll need to create two rules; one for TCP and another for UDP.

#13: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:43 pm
    —
If you're referring to inbound rules in the Windows firewall i've set two rules one for TCP and UDP

#14: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: OdiniLocation: UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 pm
    —
yes I am, if they are in the policy and listed as active in Monitoring -> Firewall within the WF.msc then it'll be grand. With regards to your hardware-firewall, what model or ISP are you using?

#15: No icon Re: NAT Negotiation Failure Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:53 pm
    —
Drektek Vigor 2710

http://www.celticalliance.com -> Technical

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 10 Hours

1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2