anti virus,what one?
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

http://www.celticalliance.com -> Technical

#1: No icon anti virus,what one? Author: SoulflyLocation: Edinburgh,Scotland PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:51 am
    —
i can install mcafee internet security again for free thanks to BT,i know these internet security programs do use a few resources,in the past they never really caused any issues for me but since am runing a older machine i need as much performance as possible,so am asking you fuckers what would you do..

install mcafee internet security or maybe install another anti virus like avg along  with something like malwarebytes

#2: No icon Re: anti virus,what one? Author: OdiniLocation: UK PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:36 pm
    —
Hi Soul,

Personally there would be two AV products that I would recommend

1: Avast! Antivirus link
It is very lightweight and does come with a 'Gaming' mode, don't think that I've ever had a problem with it. Is free as well :P

2: Microsoft Security Essentials link
Direct from Microsoft, does require a genuine version of Windows XP, Vista or 7 however. I haven't had too much experience with it (although I am currently using it to give it a try) but it is highly recommended in the forums I tend to hang around.

I personally hate AVG and don't bother with Spyware as I use Windows 7 and use MS Defender.

There is my two pence,

Odini

#3: No icon Re: anti virus,what one? Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:57 pm
    —
i get mcafee enterprise free from uni and have to say never have had any problems with it and it seems to load/run alot quicker than any other anti-virus i've used before, should be able to get you it if you want

#4: No icon Re: anti virus,what one? Author: Smokey1KenobiLocation: Bolton [UK] PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:39 pm
    —
McAfee, Norton and AVG are bloated beasts, far too intrusive even when you configure them.

I got MS Security Essentials. Done the job for me when i got something nasty but for the most part, as long as you surf safe, you shouldn't need it.

I got MSSE just to give it a bash after last weekend but for over 3 years i've run with none without a problem and only ever got one to prove the system was still clean. It was.

Avast isn't bad though. I have limited experience but from what i saw when using it, you can do a lot worse.

#5: No icon Re: anti virus,what one? Author: SoulflyLocation: Edinburgh,Scotland PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:55 pm
    —
alright guys thanks,ill give the suggested programs a try and stay away from mcafee internet security for now

#6: No icon Re: anti virus,what one? Author: Colin747Location: Northern Ireland, UK PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:12 pm
    —
the enterprise version is nothing like the ones you buy in pc world etc, in my experiance it's far quicker to load at start up etc and less intrusive than any other anti virus i've used so far

#7: No icon Re: anti virus,what one? Author: OdiniLocation: UK PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:26 pm
    —
We use McAfee at work and it really does slow down our machines. Consumes around 64MB of RAM and on slower machines, boot ups are really unresponsive.

Mind you, our network admins aren't the world's best, hence it may well be more to do with that then anything else.

http://www.celticalliance.com -> Technical

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1