free 2042 for the weekend
Started by Soulfly
Battlefield 2042 0 Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:54 am
by Soulfly
MTW2 hotseat campain factions selection
Started by Soulfly
MTW2 Hotseat 7 Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:02 pm
by Gothic

Battlefield 4 News #6 (Release review, future updates)
Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view List users that have viewed this topic Thank Post Forum Index Tavern News
View previous topic View next topic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
SplatFace
WARNING: WALL OF TEXT!
       Hello my fellow Battlefield fans. As you already know Battlefield 4 has been released and has already been through a month of what I see as the roughest criticism-wise period. Let's leave the fun part until after I correct an error I made in my haste, and cover the cool things we've had the pleasure of seeing, and finally what we can expect to see in the near future.

Battlefield. It makes for a cool title indeed. But what if it wasn't backed by EA? What if Dice had decided to publish under another title, or free-lanced? Would it still have become that popular with its first releases; Battlefield 1942 - Battlefield Vietnam, and then Battlefield 2. I'm certain it's popularity would not have been affected in the least if they avoided EA. But at that time was EA known to be such money whores? To be perfectly honest, I think EA's competitive stance came about when Valve released STEAM. EA had nothing of the sorts except some silly EA Download Manager that couldn't properly manage product keys for Battlefield 2. I remember having to call EA support to get my expansions activated. Jumping ahead a bit... And now all of a sudden we have another title in our faces:  Battlefield 4.

As Battlefield 4 was being reveled I easily joined in on the hype surrounding it's big leap with major updates to Battlefield 3's Frostbite Engine. More destruction, more smiles. While experiencing such crazy hype I eagerly pre-ordered as soon as I saw the links available. What I didn't realize was that they decided once again to make 4 different order combinations. (Battlefield 4, Battlefield 4 Deluxe, Battlefield 4 Premium, Battlefield 4 Deluxe + Premium)
In the end, I handed about $120 for the next Battlefield title. As of now I don't regret the decision, I am still having as much fun with the game as I had on the releases of all the previous titles. But something definitely feels different with this title and I think it has something to do with EA's competitive levels on the rise. This being said, I had assumed the Deluxe Edition came with Premium. No.. Just no. That's WRONG.

So aside from this, this.. and definitely THIS We were given a pretty good game in my opinion. Considering how quickly DICE was forced to make it. I watched the credits at the end of the campaign and realized just how many people it took to develop the game in this amount of time. If DICE were a free-lancing company, I don't think they would have that many people on the team. I'm not an expert so lets leave that be... The game is fun, and that is what matters.

What I hope to see from these expansions is well... EXPANSION. I don't want some silly Call of Duty Map Pack (4 maps.. Is that really a "pack"?) that costs $15+.   Knowing Battlefield, we will most likely get some new guns, and vehicles. But I don't want just 1 or 2 new vehicles. Can't we at least get some huge new innovation on vehicle warfare? As of lately in the Battlefield series, vehicles have been the perks of the war front. Hop in one and get as many kills as you can before your K/D goes to complete shit. Am I right? There's nothing wrong with that at all! But think about the crazy shit you could do with so much more on this new and improved Frostbite engine.. Unless the only new addition was some water level rising, waves, and more massive buildings being able to tumble to the ground. Why not toss in some civilian cars? Like the ones from the campaign in Battlefield 3, and now Battlefield 4's campaign! Have a radio or something playing.. DICE could really make a play here considering we have city maps for DAYS. But maybe its EA that is really calling the shots now. Maybe DICE has been bought out so thoroughly that if they want to deviate at the slightest to EA's calls, they essentially forfeit their rights the title of Battlefield itself! I don't know, but lets hope that is not the case.

Believe it or not I really like the implementation of Emblems. Sure, it was something that the Call of Duty series started, but unlike COD, you're emblems are even on the vehicle you hop in. Reminds me of some World War II pinup art. It's just a shame you can't get THAT detailed on your planes. (This is why another World War II game should be developed... Massive scale, on the Frostbite Engine.. Think of the mountains of soiled pants there would be!) If you don't know what I am talking about, go ahead and have a look here at some of the emblems I've collected :D

Please keep in mind, you don't NEED premium to make emblems, but in order to get really crazy detailed like the ones I've displayed, you're gonna need those extra 20 layers.

It can all be done right in the browser:

Is it really that time for the fun part already? I guess there is no point in pushing it to another news post because I'm sure the criticisms are starting to seep from the very pieces holding our beloved Battlefield title together. Yes, DICE has been, simply put, placed in a pit of despair. EA seems to think they can rush game titles. They seem to think it's necessary to release as many titles as possible to compete with your enemies so that at the end of the day they can say they are on top. This time, it may not be the case for either of the big game heads. EA pushed DICE much to hard, and the COD series is starting to hit its expiration date.

Battlefield 4's beta was at the most bearable. Considering the game's development was rushed in the first place, we have to be thankful we even got the opportunity to have one at all. Although it wouldn't have been to damaging for them to have never given us a beta experience. They didn't need that for Bad Company. Why start this with the newest Battlefield titles? Ah Yes... EA's way of building up the hype train. Lets be honest here. Every company has its own way of getting people excited for the release of the game they all badly desire, and putting a BETA out for the public to test is one way of doing this. But it's important that you craft EVEN the beta into something that can somewhat reach expectations while leaving the customers partly satisfied knowing that they can only expect it to get better. This BETA was to say the least, not as effective-From a hardware perspective. The problem with the release was EA's decision to side with AMD over Nvidia. Despite this, Nvidia was able to get their shit together quickly and release driver updates without full support from the developers. Even though AMD got the full ride, they still had many problems, and many angry customers. I wasn't watching the entire hardware side of things, so this is about as much as I can say on this topic, so don't get upset if I left something out of the box. In my opinion though, it must be difficult for game developers to ride the wave of the current generation graphics cards. There are thousands of variations with different capacities, and EVERY single one of those cards gets out-dated within a YEAR! Imagine that! CPU's last a while longer, but even then companies have to watch out for those buggers.

I'll dig into any information I can find on upcoming patch notes for the game. We all want some fixes right!? It appears that detrimental server crash bug has faded away. That's a relief! But there is still more we need fixed. I'm pretty sure we can expect to see some patches by the release of the first Expansion DLC. So until then, hang in there!

Just remember, this shit ONLY happens in Battlefield. Haha

Lieutenant

Groups Lieutenant
Posts 277
Joined Aug 08, 2009
Status Offline
View user's profile Send SplatFace a private message Find all posts by SplatFace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
SplatFace
Well, looks like just recently a patch was thrown out... But it seems to have re-introduced the Server Crash bug. yippeeee!

Update #12 (Nov 14-3)
PC Client Patch Notes

NOVEMBER 14 PC GAME UPDATE PATCH NOTES
In the November 14 PC game update, we fixed a number of issues that we have been seeing in the game. The main focus in this update is on crash fixes, and you can find a detailed list of the fixes below. We will continue our efforts to eliminate issues we find in the game, so stay tuned for more updates. Let us know how this update works for you.

CRASHES & FREEZES
-Fixed a crash that would occur randomly during gameplay.
-Fixed a crash that would occur when an object is destroyed.
-Every time that a player exited a vehicle, there was a small chance that the server would crash. This has been fixed.
-Fixed an occasional crash during SP gameplay.
-Fixed a crash that would occur during level loading.
-Sometimes the game would attempt to load a model at the same time as it was being thrown out of memory. This has been fixed.
-Sometimes the game would crash after removing old bullet holes/scratch marks in the world. This has been fixed.
-Sometimes when a player or enemy was sitting in the jeep gunner entry and got killed, his body would rest on the vehicle in such a way that the physics simulation would require lots of CPU usage. This has been solved.
-Fixed a crash occurring on Flood Zone when playing Conquest Large.
-Fixed a common crash relating to surface shaders.
-Fixed a crash on Test Range that could occur when using sniper rifles.
-Fixed a common crash that occurred during map transition.
-Fixed a crash that occurred when bringing up Battlescreen in-game on the Test Range.
-Fixed a memory allocation bug that could lead to crashing.
-Fixed a single player crash that could sometimes occur when being killed by AI enemies.
-Fixed an issue where the game would get stuck in infinite loading if you got disconnected while trying to access online content.
-Fixed an issue in single player in the South China Sea mission where the game would crash when idle for more than 60 minutes.
-Fixed an issue where the game would get stuck in infinite loading if you used Win+L to lock your PC during loading.

NETWORK PERFORMANCE
Eliminated a network sync bug
If you’ve been experiencing situations in multiplayer where it appears that you are taking damage from enemies through walls, you might have been the victim of a network sync bug. In this game update, we have identified and eliminated one such bug that caused this type of gameplay experience. We are continuing to work on more multiplayer optimizations concerning network performance.

Improved Network Smoothing
We have made some improvements to the ”Network Smoothing” functionality that you can find in the OPTIONS>GAMEPLAY menu. The Network Smoothing slider governs a group of settings that aim to produce a tighter multiplayer experience based on your specific packet loss situation.

Removed network lag
In certain specific situations, network lag would be introduced when interacting with objects in the game. This has been experienced by some players during melee combat, when climbing ladders, and when operating stationary weapons. The cause for these specific network lag situations has been solved.

GAMEPLAY BALANCING
-Removed the scout helicopter at the final base for the defenders in Rush mode on Siege of Shanghai
-Adjusted a Conquest flag position on Zavod 311 that was obstructing vehicles.
-At Hainan Resort in Rush mode, defenders were given too much armor at the first base. We have removed the defender IFV at the first base, added an attacker IFV at the first base, and increased the spawn delay on the defender IFV at the third base.
-Fixed so that there is 1 revive per round Defuse, as opposed to 1 per set.
-Removed all previously placed C4 and mines after a round of Defuse to eliminate the possibility to affect the next round.

GRAPHICS
-Fixed a minor graphical error on Operation Locker.
-Fixed an issue where the in-game Battlelog would get distorted when a Commander launched an EMP attack.
-Fixed a floating container on Golmud Railway near flag C in Domination.
-Fixed an issue with the minimap in Rush mode.
-Fixed an issue in Obliteration mode where the red light flash and beep sound was not played when the bomb carrier was moving.
-Fixed an issue in Defuse where the bomb model sometimes did not display on the bomb carrier.
-Fixed minor graphical alignment issues in the Spectator Mode camera layout.
-Fixed an issue in Spectator Mode where the spectator's view incorrectly would get distorted during an EMP deployment from a Commander.

MISCELLANEOUS
-Fixed a bug that occasionally killed all sounds on the server if you fired the QBU-88 with an attached silencer.
-Fixed the issue where pressing B would bring up the console.
-Fixed an issue where the EMP effect lasted for too long on soldiers.
-Fixed an issue with an area you couldn't traverse near one of the M-COM stations in Rush mode on Siege of Shanghai.
-Fixed an issue relating to player skill levels. -Fixed an issue in Obliteration mode where the bomb would temporarily be placed in the sky after the bomb carrier was killed when swimming or in a water-based vehicle.
-Fixed an occasional jitter in the kill camera.
-Fixed so that Russian special characters are displayed properly in the chat window.
-Fixed so that the System Performance Test option is working as expected.
-Fixed a bug where a rank-up message would loop in-game
-Moved a machine gun position on Lancang Dam that was placed on top of a building that can collapse.
-Added sound when navigating the scoreboard in the End of Round screen.
-Fixed a broken ladder in Siege of Shanghai.
-Adjusted vehicle spawn locations on Dawnbreaker in Conquest mode to alleviate traffic jam.
-Fixed a flickering-issue on Siege of Shanghai when using NVidia drivers 331.52.
-Fixed a bug on Golmud Railway where a destroyed house at flag A would block gunfire.
-Fixed a Ticket count issue in Rush mode.
-Commanders can no longer erroneously try to get match-made into a game of Domination.
-If the user restarts checkpoint during the End Scene , he will receive an old objective along with the credits.
-Fixed a destruction issue on Flood Zone.
-Fixed a Rhib boat issue in one of the single player missions.
-Fixed an issue where players would respawn after getting killed and have no main weapon available.
-Fixed so you won't see the emblem of a user that you have blocked.
-Fixed an issue where you couldn't smash through the railings with a quad bike on the Dawnbreaker map.
-Added clickable buttons to the in-game Battlelog.
-Fixed a bug in single player where the player is killed if he climbs after Irish too fast up the ladder in one of the missions.
-Various other minor issues.

Lieutenant

Groups Lieutenant
Posts 277
Joined Aug 08, 2009
Status Offline
View user's profile Send SplatFace a private message Find all posts by SplatFace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Smokey1Kenobi
Nice change log.

I like the part about the crashes.

General

Groups General
Posts 710
Joined Jun 06, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Smokey1Kenobi a private message Find all posts by Smokey1Kenobi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
CelticJay
And when do they fix the water or is the slime look normal?

Brigadier

Groups Brigadier
Posts 448
Joined Aug 07, 2009
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send CelticJay a private message Find all posts by CelticJay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Smokey1Kenobi
Nope, still crashes when switching maps.

General

Groups General
Posts 710
Joined Jun 06, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Smokey1Kenobi a private message Find all posts by Smokey1Kenobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Neanderthaler
one word....

Neanderthaler

Corporal

Groups Corporal
Posts 311
Joined Jun 15, 2010
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Neanderthaler a private message Find all posts by Neanderthaler

Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view List users that have viewed this topic Thank Post Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1